When Jesus responded to His disciples’ question about the signs that would mark His coming at the end of this age, one of the signs pointed to the dangerous security threats the newly reborn nation would face. He said to His Jewish disciples: “And ye shall hear of wars and rumors of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.”(Matthew 24:6)
Today, Israel faces the greatest security threats since the beginning of the nation. Israel must be ready to go to war at any moment on multiple fronts, dealing with six ongoing major rumors of wars.
1. The Sinai- Israel must guard its southern border with Egypt along the Sinai. Since the beginning of 2010, the Sinai has been occupied by several radical Islamic terrorist groups. Israel recently completed a security fence along the entire Sinai border that is monitored 24 hours a day by highly trained Israeli personnel. Israel has given Egypt special permission to use powerful military force against these terrorist groups operating in the Sinai, including ISIS agents. However, Israel realizes that the calm it now enjoys along this border could end at any moment.
2. The Gaza Strip -This area continues to be a source of great concern for Israel’s security. Hamas continues to rebuild for the next war with Israel. This is of great concern because these terrorist activities are being funded by Iran. To complicate matters even more, ISIS fighters are also threatening to topple Hamas and take over the Gaza.
3. The “West Bank” (Biblical Judea and Samaria) continues to be a security threat that could erupt at any moment. Iran is trying to help Hamas gain a foothold in the area, while attempting to supply Palestinian terrorists with weapons to fight against Israel.
4. Syria- The Syrian border with Israel along the Golan Heights continues to be a real security concern for Israel. The war between the radical Islamic elements that are fighting against the Assad forces have come very close to Syria’s border with Israel. On a couple of occasions, missiles have landed on the Israeli side. All of this is of great concern to Israel because Assad and his military are being funded by Iran.
5. Lebanon- Perhaps one of the most immediate threats to Israel’s security is along its border with Lebanon. This area is occupied by another radical terrorist entity that is controlled by Iran, Hezbollah. Israeli intelligence reports that Hezbollah, with the help of Iran, now has over 30,000 trained military personnel and approximately 100,000 missiles, some of which have the capability of accurately striking targets anywhere in Israel.
6. Iran- The most dangerous of all military threats against Israel is in the radical Shiite leadership in Iran. This fanatical Islamic group has ambitions of becoming the Islamic leader in the Middle East and desires to reestablish the ancient Persian Empire. They know that the successful annihilation of Israel would garner great support for their leadership role in the region. While Iran moves ahead with the development of a nuclear arsenal, the West (and especially the U.S. administration) is playing a deadly game of chicken with Iran.
All of these security threats will never annihilate Israel or drive the Jewish people from their ancient home. (Amos 9:15) The stage is set for the God of Israel to demonstrate to the world that He alone is God. Through a series of prophetic events documented in the Bible, the Lord will repeatedly and supernaturally defend His people and His land. He has declared: “I will seek to destroy all of the nations that come against Jerusalem.”(Zechariah 12:9)
For more information and updates on Israel’s security issues, check out the following websites:
Debka file (an Israeli site that updates Israel’s security concerns)- http://debka.com
Israeli Defense Force site- https://www.idfblog.com
For an excellent overview of Israel’s missile defense systems (Iron Dome, David’s Sling, and the Arrow) go to the following website: http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/talking/88_missiledefense.html